Welcome

If you've just happened on this blog, please note that it's presently being put together. I'm busy researching and writing at the moment and will add scenes as I complete them. This blog is not being advertised at present because I want to finish at least three plays before I do so. You can understand that I need to work on setting up the blog first before it's released into the public domain. 'THE TEMPEST' and 'ROMEO AND JULIET' are now finished. I'm writing the next play.
Thanks for your patience.

The Tempest; Act V


Scene 1. (In front of Prospero’s place)


Enter Prospero in his magic robes, and Ariel.


Prospero. Everything's going according to plan. There’s not much left to do now, Ariel. What time is it?


Ariel. It’s six o clock. You said we’d be finished about now.


Prospero. I know. Tell me, how're the king and his people?


Ariel. They’re confined together, just like you asked me to do. They’re in the lime grove which protects your place from bad weather. They’re not going anywhere until you release them. The king, his brother and your brother are all distressed. Meanwhile, Gonzalo’s desperate. His tears run down his beard like winter drops. Your magic has worked so well on them, that if you saw them now, you’d feel sorry for them.


Prospero. You really think so?


Ariel. Put it this way, sir. I would, if I were human.


Prospero. I suppose you’re right. It can’t be that you feel for them, and I won’t. I mean, I’m one of their kind. I’ve got the same feelings as they. I’d probably be more moved than you are. Though, with the evil things they’ve done to me, it would be a hard decision to make. My reasonable heart will have to overcome my anger at them. It’s rarer to be forgiving than it is to take revenge on the people who’ve done you wrong. But I suppose, now that they’re sorry, that was the only purpose of all this in the first place, wasn’t it. Go and release them, Ariel. I’ll break my enchantments and restore their senses. They’ll be themselves again.


Ariel. I’ll fetch them, sir.


                                                                                              Exit


Prospero. Listen you elves living in hills, brooks, stagnant lakes, sands and groves; who chase Neptune and fly with him when he comes back; you demi-puppets who make crop circles and mushroom by moonlight: I’ve dimmed the noon-time sun and called forth the blustering winds. I’ve brought the war of thunder between the green of the sea and the blue of the sky. I’ve called down fire and have stuck large oak trees with bolts of lightning. I’ve plucked up pine and cedar trees from their roots, all thanks to my art. But now I want to ask for some heavenly music to work on these men’s senses to bring everything to a close. I’ll break my staff and bury it deep into the ground. And deeper than this, I’ll drown my book.


Solemn music.


Ariel enters with a distressed Alonzo behind her. He’s attended by Gonzalo. Sebastian and Antonio are also upset and are attended by Adrian and Francisco. They all enter a circle which was made by Prospero. They stand in it in their charmed state. Prospero looks at them and begins to recite the spell.


Prospero. A solemn air (which is the best comforter to a charmed mind) cure their brains which are now useless – boiled within their skull. Stand there because you’re under a spell. Holy Gonzalo, honourable man. I sympathise with your misery and cry because you do. You’re a man full of charisma. Just as the morning creeps up on the night, melting the darkness, so your cleverness melts ignorance. O good, Gonzalo, my true mentor and loyal friend. I will repay your kindness to me completely. Alonso, you were cruel to both me and my daughter. Your brother helped you in the act. Sebastian, you’re my flesh and blood, my own brother. Ambition and greed made you forget to pity us. You’re pinched forever, both in body and blood, even though your inward pain must be equally strong. You were about to kill your own king, but I forgive you, even though it’s difficult. Ariel, bring me my hat and cloak from my room. I’ll disrobe myself and become like I was when I was in Milan. Quickly, spirit. You’ll soon be free.


Exit Ariel and returns immediately.
Ariel sings and helps to dress Prospero.


Where the bee sucks, there suck I
In a cowslip’s bell I lie,
There I crouch when owls do cry.
On the bat’s back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.


Prospero. Why, that’s my dainty Ariel. I’ll miss you, but I’ll set you free anyway. Stay invisible and go to the king’s ship. You’ll find the mariners asleep there under the hatches. The master and the boatswain are both awake. Bring them here immediately, please.


Ariel. I’ll move as fast as air and be back in half the time.


                                                                                             Exit.


Gonzalo. Only torment, trouble, wonder and amazement happens here. Some heavenly power guide us out of this wretched place.


Prospero. (To Alonso) Look at me, King. The wronged Duke of Milan, Prospero. So you could be sure that I’m really alive, I’ll hug you close to my body. And to you and your men, I extend a hearty welcome.


Alonso. I don’t know if you’re Prospero or an enchanted apparition who’s come to haunt me. You have a pulse and a living body. This is such a strange story(if that is all it is). My mind has been imprisoned with madness lately, but since I saw you, I’m beginning to see clearer. My Duke, I surrender to you, and I beseech you to forgive me my wrongs. But how are you living and here in front of me?


Prospero. First, noble friend, let me pay tribute your age, which is due complete honour.


Gonzalo. Whether this is so or not, I’m not sure.


Prospero. That’s due to the island. It has that uncertain effect on the mind. Welcome all, friends.(Aside to Sebastian and Antonio). But you two; if I wanted to, I could make the King believe what I told him to believe about you. I could prove to him that you’re traitors, but I won’t.


Sebastian. (Aside) The devil speaks to him.


Prospero. No. You’re so wicked, it would infect my mouth just to call you ‘brother.’ Nevertheless, I forgive you. But I want my dukedom back from you. I know you have to give it back now.


Alonso. If you’re Prospero, tell us how you’ve survived here all these years. Tell us how you happened to meet us here. We’ve been wrecked for three hours and I’ve lost my dear son, Ferdinand.


Prospero. I’m sorry for you, sir.


Alonso. The loss is irreparable and my patience is spent.


Prospero. I rather think you haven’t sought Patience’s help. I’ve suffered similar loss and she’s been very helpful in my case.


Alonso. You suffered the same loss as me?


Prospero. Yes. My loss is just as great and as recent as yours. I’ve lost a daughter.


Alonso. A daughter? Oh heavens! I wish they were both living in Naples. I wish they were the king and queen there. I wish I was in that cozy bed where my son now lies. When did you lose your daughter?


Prospero. In the same tempest. I know these men are thinking that this encounter is all a fantasy and that their eyes are fooling them to believe something that’s not true. I want you to know that you’re no longer enchanted and that what you see here is reality. I’m Prospero, Duke of Milan. I landed on this very strange shore on which your ship was wrecked. I’ve ruled it since. Welcome sir, this room here is my court. I have few attendants and subjects here, but none on the rest of the island. Come inside and see. You’ve given me back my dukedom and this is a good thing. I’ll give you a wonder to please you as much as my returned dukedom pleases me.


Here Prospero reveals Ferdinand and Miranda playing chess.


Miranda. (To Ferdinand) You’re cheating.


Ferdinand. No, my dear. I won’t do such a thing.


Miranda. If we were playing for something important, you would say that too, wouldn’t you. Never mind, I don’t care. I love you that much.


Alonso. If this is just a vision the island is giving me, I’d have lost my son twice.


Sebastian. It’s a miracle!


Ferdinand. (Sees his dad) The seas were threatening, but they’re merciful. I’ve cursed them without cause. (Kneels).


Alonso. I’m so blessed. I’m so happy. Get up and tell me how you came here.


Miranda. O, wonder. How many fine looking creatures are here? How beautiful mankind is. O brave new world that has such people in it.


Prospero. This is all new to you.


Alonso. Who is the girl you’re playing with? You can only have known her for at most, 3 hours. Is she the goddess that separated us and brought us together again?


Ferdinand. Sir, she is mortal. But by immortal plan, she’s mine. I chose her when I couldn’t ask you for your advice. I didn’t even think I had a father anymore. She is the Duke’s daughter. I’ve so often heard of his popularity but had never seen him before now. He’s given me a second life and a second father through Miranda.


Alonso. I accept her. Would it be odd if I asked my own child for forgiveness?


Prospero. There, sir, stop. Let’s not think of the past. It’s all gone.


Gonzalo. I’ve wept inwardly, and I want to say this. Look down, you gods. Bless this couple because it’s you who’ve planned all this to bring us together.


Alonso. I say amen, Gonzalo.


Gonzalo. Rejoice! All is well. In one voyage Claribel married her husband in Tunisa. Ferdinand, her brother, found a wife. Prospero has found his dukedom, and we’ve all found ourselves.


Alonso (To Ferdinand and Miranda). Give me your hands. Let grief and sorrow be upon all who do not wish you well.


Gonzalo. Let it be so, Amen!


Enter Ariel with the master and Boatswain following, confused.


O, Look sir. Here are more of the men. I prophesied that this guy would not die drowning. No more swearing now. I’m done with that. What’s the news?


Boatswain. The best news is that we’ve found our King and the rest of the company safe and sound. Next, our ship, three hours after we split, is safe and in ship-shape. It’s better than it was when we first set out to sea.


Ariel. (Aside to Prospero) Sir, I did all this service since I left.


Prospero. (Aside to Ariel) My brave spirit.


Alonso. These are not natural events. They get stranger and stranger. How did you find us here?


Boatswain. Sir, if I knew, I would tell you. We were fast asleep, and all tied under hatches. We heard all these strange noises, of roaring, shrieking, howling, jingling chains and more. They were all horrible. When we woke up, we were suddenly free. We were all clean and fresh. Our ship was fine. Our master was dancing when he saw her. Then, all of a sudden as if in a dream, we were separated from them and brought here in a daze.


Prospero. (To Ariel) Well done. You will be free.


Alonso. This is so very strange. This is more than nature can do on its own. Some magic is at work here.


Prospero. Sir, don’t worry about all that strange business. Soon I’ll explain every last incident that’s happened. Until then, have fun. (Aside to Ariel) Come here, spirit. Set Caliban and his companions free. Release the spell. (Exit Ariel). How’re you doing, my fine sir? There’s still some of your party missing; some odd men that you don’t remember.


Enter Ariel driving in Caliban, Stephano and Trinculo still wearing their stolen clothes.


Stephano. Every man for everyone else. Let’s all stick together. Courage, bully-monster, courage!


Trinculo. If what I see before me is true, this is a splendid sight.


Caliban. O Setebos, god of my mother, these are brave spirits indeed. My master is really good. He’ll be so angry with me.


Sebastian. Ha, ha! What are these, Antonio? Can we buy them? (Referring to Caliban and the men)


Antonio. I’m sure we can. One of them is a fish and he’s no doubt, marketable.


Prospero. These men are thieves, my lords. They stole my cloak. The misshapen one, his mother was a witch so strong she could control the moon without its permission. These three have robbed me. This demi-devil plotted with them to kill me. Two of these are yours. This thing of darkness is mine.


Caliban. I will be pinched to death.


Alonso. Isn’t this Stephano, my drunken butler?


Sebastian. He’s completely drunk now. Where did he get the wine?


Alonso. Trinculo’s drunk too. Where did they get the drink from? How did they get this drunk?


Trinculo. I’ve been this drunk since I last saw you. I’m starting to think I’ll never get sober. The drinks might have pickled my bones.


Sebastian. How so?


Stephano. Don’t touch me. I’m not Stephano. I’m a big cramp.


Prospero. I thought you were 'king' of the island.


Stephano. I would’ve been a rotten one.


Alonso. This one is really strangely deformed. (Speaking of Caliban)


Prospero. He’s deformed in his manners as he is in his shape. (To Caliban) Go to my cell and take your companions with you. You have my pardon now, but don’t take advantage of it.


Caliban. I won’t. I’ll be wise from now on and do what you tell me. What a thrice-double ass I was to mistake this drunkard for a god and worship this dumb fool.


Prospero. Go!


Alonso. And put back that cloak where you found it.


Sebastian. Or stole it, rather.


Exit Caliban, Stephano and Trinculo.


Prospero. Sir, I’m inviting your highness and your men to my humble home, where you can rest for tonight. I’ll make it go quickly by explaining about what’s gone on in my life since I came here, and the incidents that have happened to you. In the morning, I hope to see these two dearly-beloved married. After that, I’ll retire to my Milan, where every third thought would be about my grave.


Alonso. I long to hear the story of your life. I’m sure it’ll be a very strange one.


Prospero. I’ll tell you everything. And promise you calm seas and a trip so quick and smooth, you’ll catch up with your royal fleet which is now far off. (Aside to Ariel) My Ariel, chick, that is the last thing for you to do then you’re free. I wish you well. (To the others) Please come with me.


Epilogue
Spoken by Prospero.


Now my charms are all overthrown
And the strength I have is all my own,
It’s very weak. Now, it’s true
Here I must be confined by you,
Or be sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And forgiven the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell.
But release me from my bonds
With the help of your good hands.
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project to please you fails.
This I lack: spirits to enforce, art to enchant.
My ending is despair
Unless I’m relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardoned be,
Let your indulgence set me free.


                                                                                                       Exit


End.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Google Pagerank mérés, keresooptimalizálás

About This Blog

A translation of Shakespeare's plays designed for noughties' teenagers and youngsters.
The material on this blog is specifically designed for teenagers and younger kids. The aim is to help them read and translate Shakespeare scenes into their own, modern take on the English language. This is a perfect tool to help them write their Shakespeare synopsis on a particular play or character quickly and easily.
This modern ‘translation’ will also help with any type of school work pertaining to the plays of the mighty Shakespeare, and his dramatic and comedic scenes we all love.

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP